Design and model a business, the software architecture, and the organisation
Learn how to apply strategic Domain-Driven Design with hands-on activities and just enough theory. After attending this workshop, you will have a whole toolbox of new techniques you can immediately begin applying to model your business, your domain, your software architecture, and your teams.
Techniques you will learn by doing include:
- The Business Model Canvas: understand the business model and the business strategy to identify core domains and key areas of the domain
- EventStorming: collaboratively model the domain with DDD’s most popular discovery technique
- Domain Storytelling: capture key processes and user journeys using a structured pictographic language
- Context Mapping: exploring modelling options for breaking down a large domain into cohesive bounded contexts
- C4 Architecture Diagrams: a structured, hierarchical model to designing and communicating software architecture with a DDD flavour
- Sociotechnical Modelling: designing and aligning teams with the software architecture and the domain
- Mob programming (3 day version only): implementing core domains as a whole team
The whole workshop will be structured as a journey. In small teams, you will start by designing your business and then using each activity to model the domain, the software, and the teams for your chosen business.
The workshop will be punctuated with whole group activities, mini-retrospectives, and theory, including:
- Strategic DDD patterns with microservices
- Strategic DDD case studies
- Sociotechnical architecture patterns
- Evolutionary Strategic DDD patterns
- Leveraging Strategic DDD for Continuous Delivery and Business Agility
- 2 or 3 days (3 day version includes more theory and mob programming on core domains)
- Laptops required for 3-day version
- Dress comfortably especially footwear due to the hands-on nature of the workshop (please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. There will be seating available and regular breaks.)
Note: this workshop does not focus heavily on the tactical patterns of DDD. There will usually be no hands-on coding in the 2-day version of the workshop.
Who Should Attend
A diverse crowd makes for a great strategic DDD workshop. If you work with teams who build and deliver software, you will gain a lot of benefit from this workshop. For software engineers, testers and other hands-on roles, you will learn how to better understand the business and the domain. For product managers, product owners, domain experts, and anyone who works closely with software teams, you’ll level up your skills at working with engineers to deliver great products.